August was a month of moving, following the theme of the rest of the summer. I spent several weekends driving to and from Chicago to see my family, and visited Toronto for the first time after a trip to NYC! The month flew by as the end of summer always seems to, but I’m glad I got to fit in some travel time and time at home to celebrate my mom’s birthday on the 15th. Here are some firsts and favorites from what I think of as the “dogs days of summer” month:
- Road Trips: I ventured to Chicago with stops at the beach on the way, Ohio, New York, and Toronto, all in my faithful Honda. It’s so different from traveling by plane, and I really enjoyed being on my own with my favorite snacks (hello, Rx bars), music, and podcasts. Although, after all this driving this month I am ready to start flying again!
- The Ten Worlds: The New Psychology of Happiness: An amazing read that has completely changed my outlook on life, but more to come on that in a full review soon. You can preorder the book now, and I highly recommend giving it a read.
- Lollapalooza 2018: I went to Lolla for the first time this year, just for Friday. The line-up was incredible; I got to see James Bay, Greta Van Fleet, Børns, and Bruno Mars. It was such a fun day despite my reservations about the crowds of people. The music was worth everything.
- Toronto, ON, CA: I visited Toronto for the first time on my way back from NYC and it was so fun. I drank way too much coffee thanks to the plethora of adorable coffee shops. My only regret is only spending two nights there, there was so much left to delve into and explore more. I am glad I covered so much ground in so little time though, because the city was wonderful and I definitely plan to go back.
- Niall Horan Concert: Joe and I went to see Niall at DTE and loved every second! Opener Maren Morris was lovely, and closed with my personal favorite, The Middle. Niall sang beautifully, gave an energetic and fun show, and was a delight to watch. All in all, a fun summer night with amazing music.
- Starbucks Rewards: Back in high school Joe and I obtained a joint gold card from our frequent Starbucks visits, but being procrastinators as we are, only recently downloaded the app and resumed gathering stars. Now I’m addicted (well done, loyalty program). Each purchase earns plenty of stars and the free drinks that are earned taste a million times sweeter, being free. 🙂
- Belle Isle Dinners: My family has always been one to visit Detroit and Belle Isle frequently, but this summer you will find us there without fail on the weekends. Packing a picnic dinner and taking it down to the island is customary now. The sunsets over the skyline are spectacular, and being near the water is so soothing.
So there you have it, my favorites from the past month on a macro level! What have you been loving this month?